(NewsReady.com) – While COVID-19 has been ravaging the world, scammers have been finding new ways to steal from people. Of course, it makes sense that they’re now abusing good news and using it to take advantage of people.
On Monday, December 21, the FBI, Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, and HHS Office of Inspector General issued a warning about COVID-19 vaccine scams. The agencies said shysters are trying to steal money and personal information from innocent people who are interested in the vaccination. A press release on the FBI’s website warns people to watch for the following:
- Offers for other procedures and testing while people are getting vaccinated.
- Communications from people claiming to be in the medical or insurance fields asking for personal information.
- Offers to get people early access to the vaccination for a price.
- People who say they can ship the vaccine for a cost.
- Someone telling you to pay out of pocket for the vaccine or to get on a waitlist for a fee.
- Anyone who claims you’re required to get the vaccine.
- Claims that you can’t verify on government-run websites.
- Social media messages about the vaccine.
— BRHPC (@BRHPCHealth) December 22, 2020
If you have any questions about when the vaccine will be available, or how to get it, call your local health department or your doctor. And remember, do not give money or personal information to someone you don’t know.
Copyright 2020, NewsReady.com