Housing Support Options from HUD

(NewsReady.com) – The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) has a variety of offices that administer assistance programs, especially for those that might require assistance with finding financing for affordable housing. The Office of Housing is one of the most prominent HUD offices, and it regulates the housing industry and oversees the Federal Housing Administration. Read on to learn more about the available housing support options from HUD.

Housing Support Options from HUD

Individuals with low income, specific disabilities, and who are seniors may receive housing assistance from HUD in order to acquire affordable rental housing. HUD provides finance to homeowners, primarily through state distribution that allows them to create affordable housing opportunities and programs.

Individuals seeking low-income housing can get online assistance from an approved housing counselor. Alternatively, they can call 1-800-569-4287 and request to be connected to a local counseling agency. Housing counselors, even those from a non-profit organization, are usually approved by HUD and are ideal when searching for low-income housing.

HUD supports the following three main housing options:

  • Privately owned and subsidized housing
  • Public housing
  • Housing Choice Voucher Program

Privately Owned and Subsidized Housing

The government offers the landlords in privately-owned houses subsidies and they in turn agree to reduce their rent amounts. When you rent a subsidized house, the housing authority is not your landlord. Individual landlords or non-profit organizations own most privately-owned subsidized units.

To be eligible for subsidized housing, you should fall under a certain income level. The income limits usually vary from county to county. This means that before applying, eligible applicants should search the limits of the county or metropolitan they are interested in to ensure they are not above limit incomes.

You can search for a privately owned subsidized rental unit online and apply directly to the landlord or rental management office. If you have any complaints about privately-owned housing, you can report your matter to Multifamily Housing Complaint Line by phone (1-800-685-8470).

Public Housing

Public housing provides affordable, decent, safe houses to qualified low-income individuals, people with specific disabilities, and seniors. The program offers housing of different sizes, including scattered single-family and high-rise houses for the elderly. Local housing authorities acquire the finances to run the public housing program from the HUD and the government agencies involved generally own and maintain the properties.

Some factors determining your eligibility for the public housing program include your gross annual income, if you are elderly or have a particular disability, and your citizenship status, including immigration status. The local HA uses the income limits established by the HUD. These income limits differ depending on the county or metropolitan area where the applicant lives.

After qualifying for the program, the HA will conduct a background check to ensure that you or your family have no recent eviction history or have been involved in any criminal activities. You can apply for the public housing program by contacting the public housing agency closest to you.

The Housing Choice Voucher Program

The housing choice voucher program, also known as Section 8, is another housing support program that runs separately from public housing, though HUD administrates both programs. The houses in section 8 are owned by individual landlords who allow section 8 vouchers from their renters.

The federal government programs allow low-income families, the disabled, and the elderly to acquire decent, secure, and clean housing in the private market through this program. Those who qualify for section 8 can acquire single-family homes, apartments, or townhouses.

The U.S Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) funds the public housing agencies to run the voucher program at the local levels. The HAs determine the eligibility of a family to the section 8 program with regard to:

  1. Total annual gross income
  2. Family size
  3. Citizenship
  4. Immigration status

After acquiring a housing voucher, individual families are given the power to select their housing. The PHA may advise a voucher holder on the ideal unit size according to the family size and composition. After a family has chosen a housing unit, the PHA must further inspect the dwelling to ensure that it meets the minimum standards of health and safety. Renters may have to pay a balance if the voucher does not cover the full cost of rent, but the voucher prevents the renter from spending more than 30% of their income on housing.

Get Housing Support from the Government Today

It is essential to seek housing assistance from the government if your annual gross income is low, if you are 65 years and above, or if you have any disability preventing you from conducting daily activities. Visit the HUD or benefits.gov today to learn more about these programs and you how can use them to find more affordable housing.

Copyright 2022, NewsReady.com