Students Treated After Consuming Fentanyl-Laced Gummy Bears

(NewsReady.com) – Fentanyl is a powerful synthetic opioid that is 50 times stronger than heroin. Even small doses of the medication can be deadly.

On December 12, seven fourth-grade students at Central Elementary School in Amherst, Virginia, ate gummy bears that one of the students brought from home. The kids shared the candy while they were at lunch.

Five of the students began experiencing vomiting, headaches, nausea, and muscle spasms. EMS took two of the kids to Lynchburg General Hospital, parents took two others to the hospital, and another child was taken to Bedford Memorial Hospital. The Amherst County Sheriff’s Office began investigating and discovered the kids had all eaten gummy bears out of a plastic bag.

Lieutenant Dallas Hill stated the department tested the bag the gummies were in, and it was positive for fentanyl. The gummy bears themselves didn’t have fentanyl in them, but they were coated with the residue on the bag. He said the baggie was sent to a lab for further DNA testing.

Hayden Floyd, 10, was one of the kids who ate the gummies. He told ABC 13 that he tried one and “it tasted weird,” but then it “tasted good.” He explained there was an “aftertaste,” but it “tasted really good.” He ate about 10 of the gummies. Floyd said he and his friends started to feel sick and went to the nurse after lunch. That’s when parents were notified that something was wrong.

The next day, police announced they’d made two arrests in the case. Authorities charged Nicole Sanders with delinquency of a minor and possession of drugs on Schedule I or II. They charged Clifford Dugan Jr. with delinquency of a minor and nonviolent felony possession of a gun.

Floyd’s mother warned other parents to teach their kids not to take anything from anybody else and not to touch anything that looks suspicious. The 10-year-old agreed and told other kids to do the same.

Copyright 2023, NewsReady.com